Friday, April 15, 2011

Trip to Bangladesh

Three flights, several thousand miles and two days later.... I made it!

I got off to an interesting start... my flight from Boston to JFK was canceled due to bad weather so they booked me on a flight to LaGuardia, which meant I was going to have to pick up my (heavy) luggage and get myself over to JFK.  I was not thrilled with that choice but it was the only option.  While I was waiting at the gate I learned there was a Jet Blue flight to JFK so I got myself switched to that, though my luggage may still be in LaGuardia (another story).

The flights were quite excellent!  On my way to NY, I sat next to a Rabbi who ended up telling me Passover stories and recommended a Chabad in Dhaka (go figure!).  I traveled on Etihad, the airlines of the United Arab Emirates, to Abu Dhabi and Dhaka.  It was fantastic service!  I met Bengali-Americans on all flights who gave me advice- "if you have a driver, don't let them drive too fast", "never drink the water", etc.   There are very few women traveling alone on these flights, and even fewer white women traveling alone, so I got a lot of assistance with my baggage.  I was telling Elizabeth how pleasant a change it was from the US and she agreed but says it comes at a price  - as women are otherwise quite repressed.

Not surprisingly considering the wealth of the country, The Abu Dhabi airport is amazing- dramtic tiles, plants and lots of amenities.  The transition to Bangaldesh is quite stark.  The flight to Dhaka was filled with laborers who work outside of Bangladesh to support their families. 

I arrived in Dhaka at 4:10 am and Elizabeth was waiting at the gate for me.  Being a white woman who can speak Bangla turns out to be very helpful and Elizabeth was accompanied by a high level security man who shepherded us through customs and helped me file my lost bag claim (yes, my luggage did not arrive!)  Elizabeth tried to give him a tip at the end of the several hours that he helped us and he refused (was actually a bit offended) and told us he helped us to be a friend :)

Elizabeth is living on the top floor of a house owned by she connected with through the photography community. It is a lovely house and she has a room mate who is here from the Wisconsin working for non-profit doing research.  Importantly, her room is air conditioned.

I slept a good part of today (what day is is anyway?) and now we are out off a late lunch and to buy some clothes for me as the skinny jeans I wore on my trip here do not quite fit in.

More later.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Pat,

    It is Magali (under my anonymous blog name :)
    Happy to hear that you made it safe and sound to the other side of the planet but for the lost baggages. I hope they'll find them soon. When that happened to me it was coming back from france right after I moved here so my suitcase contained ALL of my clothing. When I explained my situation to the claim desk they handed me one of their emergency bag that contained one mini toothbrush, a pair of hospital socks and one PLASTIC panty (Really /!!). I had to take a cab to take my to target asap.
    Then it took over a week for them to find my suitcase that was brought back to me in the most agreeable way. The airline driver barely stopped in front of my door and throw my luggage in the street!!! Gone love airlines costumer care :)
    Looking forward to hear of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patti - Glad you are there - luggage or not! Sounds like you are off to an interesting start. Looking forward to following you on your journey.

    Love and hugs to you and Elizabeth.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your luggage, Pat! I'm glad that you arrived safely, and that Elizabeth's room has air conditioning (yay!).

    I'm curious now about the Passover stories!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving sharing your adventures.
    hopefully by now your luggage caught up with you and
    all that oatmeal, etc survived.
    happy trails and love to you and biz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat,

    As I write this from still snowy Wisconsin, how appropriate it is that Elizabeth has a room mate from here.

    I'm happy you made it safely. Have a wonderful trip and I will follow along.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you the Elizabeth who needed a translator?

    ReplyDelete